Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Four Down, Forty-Six to Go

I signed up for this "National Novel Writing Month" thing, the object of which is to write a whole novel (50,000 words) in the month of November. Of course, cranking out a book in such a short time almost guarantees the actual writing will be crap, but that's not really the point; the point is to demonstrate that you can slap together a story and get it all the way to the end in a remarkably short time. If the story itself turns out to be good (something you won't know till you reach the end), you can always edit the prose into something that's not crap. Or so goes the theory.

50,000 words in 30 days means a daily average of 1700 words. So, by midnight tonight I should have about 7000 words done if I'm to stay on track. Right now (just before 1pm), I'm only at 4000 words. The weather has not been cooperative, by which I mean it's been warm and sunny and I'd rather ride the Harley or paddle the kayak than sit inside writing. But fortunately, with the demise of Daylight Saving Time on Sunday, I have lots of dark hours in the evening for writing.

Anyway, I thought I'd let anybody who reads this blog know I may not be writing many entries this month. Then again, it's been nearly a month since my last entry, so NaNoWriMo (as it's known) may slip by without even being noticed...

No comments: