Monday, November 17, 2008

Halfway There, and Finally Ahead Of Schedule

Yesterday I hit two milestones in my "NaNoWriMo" (National Novel Writing Month) project: I passed the halfway point (25,000 words written), and for the first time my end-of-the-day word count was above the "scheduled" number of words for this day (that is, at the end of the 16th day, I had 27,400 words written; the schedule says that at the end of that day I needed to have at least 26,667 written to reach the goal of 50K by November 30).

Of course, a fair number of those 27.4K words are probably crap; this is the downside of the whole NaNoWriMo idea. I doubt that many of these written-in-a-month books will be in anything resembling publishable shape by the end of the month. Or the end of next year, for that matter. I'm not making any plans for the thing I'm writing as a part of this event. When I'm done, I'll put it away for a month while catching up on other writing matters (I promised Karina Fabian an article or two on the corporate religion of "Spafuism," from The Last Protector). Then I'll decide whether there's anything there, or whether the month was pretty much wasted...

For the time being, though, I'm just enjoying being ahead of schedule for once...

No comments: